Sunday, January 4, 2009

I hadn't ridden in a week.

And for that matter hadn't even been to the barn the whole week! That hasn't happened since: It's been so long I can't even remember when?? (must have been during a vacation when I was out of town). Even if I can't ride I always make it out there to see Grace. So needless to say I was jonesin' for my fix. I was dying to get to the barn and was bummed watching the weather and thinking that we weren't going to be able to ride our Sunday ride outside. However lady luck was with us and the weather obliged by sleeting early in the am. By 7:00 it was clear and above freezing, all Tina and I needed. I got to the barn and as I walked through the door the familiar smells (hay and horse) and sounds of Javi, Cruz, Frederico & the rest of the guys working hit me at once & I smiled. For 7 days I missed this! As much as I love to ride I also feel right at home just being at the barn and going through all of my simplistic rituals there. For me, walking through the door is as comforting as being at home. It's where I belong and so I smiled, just happy to be there.
Tina arrived shortly thereafter and we tacked up in the quiet yet busy atmosphere of the morning barn routine and then headed out.
Even if there is nothing hugely special, on the trail there is always something that stands out. Today it was Gemmy's 'tude , Grace's speediness on the return and the 2 deer couples (yep, a buck & doe each) and separate group of deer in the woods we happened upon. Just enough to be a great ride and take us away for awhile and a story to bring home to my family.

No comments: